Monday 11 December 2006

Legalities in regards to primitive living in Norway.

Fishing

The primitive in Norway seems hardly able to thrive on hunting and trapping (legally that is). Fishing however is another story. If we first have a look away from the legalities, there are literally thousands on thousands of lakes in Norway with way too much fish. It is more than likely that you will be able to secure rights to use a net or two along all the way of your migration line. ;-)

Fishing in the sea is open to everybody, including with nets and long line, as long as it is for non-commersial purposes only. The exception is equipment specifically aimed at catching salmon, sea trout and sea char. Here the landowner has exclusive rights. That does not include hook and line however. There are no fees for fishing in the sea.

In freshwater, nets are for the land owner's exclusive use. Where a fishing license is required, you that is the only fee required. The exception is where there are salmon, sea trout or sea char in the water. There there is an additional fee to the government. Where no fishing licences are sold, fishing is off-limits. However, persons up to 16 years are allowed to fish wherever they like for free, except where there is anadromous fish.

Fishing spears are illegal to use. Very few care though, and I claim my right to do it as everyone has done it where I come from in times immemorial. In fact, I didn't know it was illegal until I checked it now! Bowfishing is legal for pike only. I have found no exception for tickeling trout and I therefore consider that to be legal.

That's all for now. I may not have covered it all. If I discover that I have left something out, I will post it.