Thursday 7 December 2006

Ice Fishing Stick Update

The antler rod eye is a neat thing I picked up from Patrick McGlinchey from Backwoods Survival School. Making them is rather easy, but don't do like me and choose a tine. A stem portion of female reindeer would be a lot better, since tines are frequently solid all the way through.

First start by scoring out the layout of the eye on the antler.














Score through the angled piece.














After that is done, split it with an antler wedge.














The eye is abraded on a rock to get the desired shape as that is more easily accomplished while it is still attached in the other end. Next by using the two saw flakes on the photo, I had to saw almost all the way through. A very good reason to choose a piece of antler with a pith.














The hole I drilled by holding it with my toes. I ask for apologies if my rather hairy toes prove to be offensive to anyone. :-)














The finished piece is bound to the the stick itself piece with a few strands of nettle. I'll see later if I will pitch the wrapping, but in essence, the stick is ready to use.