Wednesday 4 April 2007

Thanks Torjus

Thank you for the invite to help out on your blog. I look forward to helping this blog become a great resource for people who want to learn more about primitive skills. Perhaps I fantasize too much in dreaming that one day we might be able to put on a primitive skills gathering there in Norway!!

Just to let folks know a little about me. I am a traditional tanner who lives on a reservation in Montana, but I'm not an aboriginal American. I make my living as a traditional tanner selling garment quality skins to aboriginal women who use my skins to make clothing and moccasins. Traditional tanning as such is not practiced much among aboriginal people these days.

I have been making braintanned buckskins for about 14 years now. I have also lived very "primitively" for about 3 years straight at one point in my life which has given me a practical perspective on living simply. I did this with children which is also somewhat unusual for many primitive practitioners. One of my children was birthed 1/2 mile off the nearest road in a shelter I made, and without a midwife. I have a wide range of primitive skills that I know and practice but by far I am best at braintanning deerskins.

Thanks again Torjus. I look forward to contributing.

Robert